Thursday, March 27, 2008

Finally, a decent burrito



Veggie friendliness: Four out of five stars

It's sort of terrible that a national chain restaurant is by far the best Mexican in the Boston area. But really, Chipotle's burritos are an order of magnitude better than any other place I've been in Boston. Anna's Taqueria is just bad, with no salsa options, cheese in American slice form and weird, tasteless vegetables that should not be in burritos. And their rice is not vegetarian. I liked the burritos at Piquante in Central Square, but Chipotle in the Dedham Mall is the only really decent burrito I've had since moving away from my beloved Illegal Pete's in Boulder.

Chipotle is veggie friendly too, which maybe isn't so authentic (the slogan at another Boulder Mexican place was "Praise the lard") but I'm not complaining. There are tasty sauteed peppers and onions, two kinds of vegetarian beans--pinto and black--and plenty of flavorful salsa options. And, the rice is just so yummy, with cilantro and lime. The tortillas are just right and they have the big warmer/steamer thing for them. The guacamole is also excellent. The only thing that could be improved is if they mixed all your burrito fillings together at the end before wrapping. But that was always what set Illegal Pete's apart, so if that's the only thing missing, I can happily eat Chipotle's burritos until my next Colorado visit.

Also, Chipotle is cheap and they have a big vat of real brewed iced tea. They're in Dedham, Somerville and Brookline that I know of in the Boston area so far.

5 comments:

Elisa said...

I totally agree. Just the other week I was saying that Chipotle is strangely good for a chain that I heard is owned by McDonald's?? And Anna's is the worst.

Christine Cignoli said...

Yes, I had heard the same thing about their corporate ownership...although I found somewhere online that Chipotle is no longer owned by McDonald's. That really takes away most of my guilt!

@surftheburb said...

hit up romano's in roslindale center. they have killer burritos there.

Matt Walker said...

I had never eaten a burrito before my twentieth year. I eat them a lot now, even though they cost $10 (with a drink). Didn't Chipotle exist before McDonald's bought them? Just money and paperwork changing hands...?

(My burrito virginity was taken not by Chipotle, but by Laughing Planet of Bloomington, IN.)

This is one weird comment, I'm now realizing.

Christine Cignoli said...

Yeah, I really want to check out Romano's. I fear there may be lard involved somehow, though. I'm going to practice how to ask them that in Spanish, just in case.